The Bread Story.

There really is no good news in the papers nowadays! This morning, on the way to send the boys for Sunday school, we always stop at our friendly sundry shop for our Sunday newspaper to pass the time while waiting for the boys to finish. The headline said it all.

'Bread to cost more!'

Awww man, that is not good. I mean, you should see the amount of bread we consume daily in my household. And now they say that it's going to cost more? Come on, give a guy a break. The headlines said that the price of flour was going to increase considerably and that would affect a whole list of other flour based products like noodles, buns, cakes (honey, you're gonna have to eat less cakes from now on ... hehehe ...) and of course bread.

This year alone the price of practically everything has gone up (except my miserable salary) and soon I'm probably going to have to apply a bank loan when we go grocery shopping. To quote my wife ...

'we'll be eating grass soon dear'.

And you know what, she could be absolutely right. What really irks me is not really the price increase in general. It's just that every trader around is going to use this flour increase excuse to raise their prices irrespective of whether their products do have flour or not. Yes, we really do have loads of unscrupulous traders here. I can already picture this scene. Me going to the mechanics to service my car and he's probably going to say ...

'Aiyo boss, the price of flour is up and I pay more for bread for my family so I have to charge you more for service lor ...'

And that's going to be the scenario for every other trader! Now, coming back to bread. We buy a large loaf of bread in the morning and by noon it's almost all gone, that's how much of bread we eat a day. In fact the total bread cost for the whole month is equivalent to almost 4 bags of 10 kg rice. (We only consume two 10kg bags a month, so you do the math!) Guess we're going to have to control our bread eating days ... hehehe ...

I'm really dreading reading the papers cos there really is no sign of good news at all. Well, my favourite football team Arsenal won, but I don't get anything out of that though. There's also signs of the cost of fuel being raised in the not too distant future but thank god my office pays for all my fuel cost or that's gonna be another huge chuck of expense to worry about.

Maybe I should just pack up, take my wife and kids and go become some hermit is some secluded and isolated place, plant our own vegetables and stuff and live off the land or something. Hmmmm, sounds like a great thought :)

'what's that honey? You mean I can't blog no more if we do that? Oh man ...'

Guess I'm stuck here after all!
.

10 weird comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa... go easy on those bread. Hehe

Well, that's seems to be the trend now... up, up and away...

Anonymous said...

Sweetiepie, how to go easy on bread? I also happen to love eating bread. Guess I'll have to cut dowm from eating 6 slices to just one ... LOL!

josie2shoes said...

Yup, I'm all for going "back to nature", but I'm not going anywhere with out my 'puter and Internet! That takes "roughing it" too far for me! :-)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on the computer and internet part. My connection was down for almost 2 days and I was seething like crazy, so they'd better have some wifi connection out there with nature ... LOL!

WaterLearner said...

Hey Spiff..It's not only bread, the price of everything in Singapore is going up!

Anonymous said...

Waterlearner, I guess it's the same here. Like I said, soon I'm going to need a bank loan just to buy groceries ... LOL!

Deb said...

It's funny how things do the ripple effect. Since we're becoming so "green" lately, and using things like corn oil, which stems from corn in replace for our "gas" in our cars, now we have to pay an arm and a leg for an ear of corn. Too many body parts for me.

I need to become a hermit myself!

DiamondsSaphire said...

HEY SPIFF....where are you??? Hope all is okay..:0(

Anonymous said...

Diamond, Spiff has been busy conqueror the galaxy ... LOL! Actually my broadband connection decided to give up on me and was swamped with work as well. Check out Anything Goes for the full story.

Anonymous said...

Deb, welcome to my blog. Yes, things do cost and arm and sometimes even two legs ... LOL! There will be a time I think I'm gonna have to eat the grass from my lawn ... LOL!